[OOT] About the symbols in binary file.

nilesh nilesh.tayade at netscout.com
Fri Jan 20 04:56:46 EST 2012

Hi,

The question is not completely related to kernel. But I came across
similar question when debugging in kernel.

I tried dissecting the SSL library using 'nm' command. It is showing the
list of symbols along with some generic addresses (to be used when
relocating).
Also there are some characters 't', 'T', 'U'. I guess these correspond
to properties of symbols - like static, extern etc.

Could someone please point out what exactly each character corresponds to?
I mean looking at the character, we should be able to denote if it's a
static symbol or inline etc. Do we have any such mapping?

00000499 t tls1_PRF
00000019 t tls1_P_hash
00000000 T tls1_alert_code
00000937 T tls1_cert_verify_mac