High sleep_on_page latency

Prateek Sharma prateek3.14 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 23:48:10 EST 2012

Hello,
  I am measuring system latency using latencytop. I am using kernel
version 3.0 with some minor changes.
The latencytop output for the process doing the IO (qemu) is below:

Process qemu-system-x86 (6239)             Total: 31363.7 msec
[sleep_on_page]                                   1966.5 msec         81.4 %
Waiting for event (select)                          5.0 msec          7.8 %
[kvm_vcpu_block]                                    5.0 msec          8.5 %
synchronous write                                   1.7 msec          0.0 %
Userspace lock contention                           1.5 msec          2.3 %

Is the 2000 msec sleep_on_page delays normal ? I would also like to
know what sleep_on_page exactly corresponds to. My understanding is
that it is the time spent waiting for grabbing a lock on a page. Is
this correct ?

Thanks.