How to know number of user threads from /proc

Pravin Shedage pravinshedage2008 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 13:17:58 EST 2012

Hi,

You will get Number of Threads info your process is created is in
/proc/pid/status

root at kernel:/proc# ls  /proc/1951/task/
1951  1957  2162
root at kernel:/proc#
root at kernel:/proc#  cat /proc/1951/status | grep -i Threads:
Threads:    3
root at kernel:/proc#
root at kernel:/proc# cat /proc/self/status | grep -i Threads:
Threads:    1
root at kernel:/proc#

Thanks & Regards,
    PraviN

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Dave Hylands <dhylands at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kris,
>
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 3:15 AM, emani murali <murali132 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  I'm running a multithreaded program in OpenMP on linux to study CPU
> > overloading. As the subject says, I need to know the number of threads
> this
> > program creates (assuming in this case, number of threads in this
> program is
> > same as the number of user threads) from the information kernel provides.
> >
> > I'm looking something similar to run-queue length from "sar -q 0" that
> gives
> > me exact picture of number of user threads. From the implementation of
> sar,
> > I found that this information is fetched from /proc filesystem.
> >
> > So is there anyway that /proc fs gives me the number of threads running
> in
> > the system, apart from /proc/cpuinfo that gives me a static information
> of
> > existing CPUs.
>
> There is a directory in /proc/PID/task for each thread contained
> within a process.
>
> --
> Dave Hylands
> Shuswap, BC, Canada