problem regarding ether_type

Syed Muhammad Mohsin Kazmi 08beesmmkazmi at seecs.edu.pk
Sun Feb 26 12:35:23 EST 2012

Hi,
    I am trying to write down the very basic version of TRILL in linux.
TRILL is a protocol which encapsulates the entire packet including ethernet
header to forward it to end nodes without the danger of temporary loops.
Then it is decapsulated at the bridge having the end host for which the
packet is being destined.
I have written a sample module which encapsulates the entire packet with
TRILL header over that a new ethernet header. The ether_type of TRILL is
0x88c8. I have put it in ether_type of mac_header. when i ping from one
machine to another one, the bridging module having TRILL hooks,
encapsulates the packets  and send them to forwarding function (br_forward)
in bridge. I am not recalculating the checksum. I receive the packets on
other bridge but hook in br_handle_frame function  to  decapsulate the
TRILL  encapsulated traffic. I use a check of ether_type == ETHERTYPE_TRILL
before calling decapsulating function. But it does not enter into the check
to call the decapsulating function.

I don't know what is going wrong with it. any idea and help regarding this
problem?

Thanks in advance...!

Regards,
Syed M. Mohsin Kazmi