pagetables used in interrupt context

Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 22:39:49 EST 2012

Hi Subin,

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 6:47 PM, subin gangadharan
<subingangadharan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong. In linux each process will have its
> own page tables, so when a interrupt happens processor will switch to
> interrupt context
> and execute the proper handler. So my doubt, if this is the case,
> interrupt hanlder will be using the pagetables of the interrupted
> process or is there a separate page table for this.

Yep - that's right. Conceptually you can imagine that the kernel page
tables are replicated in each process, so when the interrupt occurs,
the kernel mappings will always be in effect regardless of which task
is running. How this is actually achieved may vary from architecture
to architecture.

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada