cgroup freezer

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 10:06:25 EST 2012

Hi Bill :)

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:50, bill4carson <bill4carson at gmail.com> wrote:
> IMHO, when system load is high, administrator could freeze some of
> cpu-hogged tasks in favor of more important ones, once system is most
> likely to be idle, frozen tasks could be thaw back on line.

what you describe, IIRC, is something doable via "batch" command

> I don't know this idea is right or wrong, can somebody give me some
> hints about practical usage of cgroup freezer?

IMHO, it's also useful if you manage computer grid. So say you have 16
nodes. A job runs on node A, but later you found that node C has the
least load. You freeze the job and then unfreeze it in C.

Of course, it assumes that the nodes are homogen. And yes, it sounds
very similar to virtual machine migration. basically, both of them
have same principle on how to get things done.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant