System call trace

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 09:56:40 EST 2012

Hi :)

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 21:38, Swapnil Gaikwad <swapnilgaik72 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can we see trace of how the system call works?
> What are the functions are called in kernel space?
> For example we want to trace cp command. Then what are the functions
> is get called by that in kernel space? like how the inode allocation
> take place for new destination file etc.
> Is any tool for that?

Besides using strace, you might find User Mode Linux useful in this
case. Just attach gdb to the UML kernel, put breakpoint into system
call entry, and then do "step" to follow how it goes.

Note that UML might not precisely mimic real kernel, but at least it
will give you idea.

Other than that, cscope and/or websites like lxr.linux.no are your
best friend for such code exploration :)

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant