Get USB Device Class Type and Mount point

Abhijit Pawar apawar.linux at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 07:14:56 EST 2012

On 02/10/2012 07:42 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 07:19:26PM +0530, Abhijit Pawar wrote:
>>> Step back again, what is the problem you are trying to solve?
>>>
>>> greg k-h
>> I am trying to find out if any storage disk is connected to USB port
>> and get its mount so that I an encrypt that mount with encrypted
>> filesystem.
> Great, then do that from userspace, like it is done today.  Or do you
> have a problem with how things are done today with encrypted
> filesystems?  If so, why?
>
> greg k-h

Hi Greg,
The  reason I went for kernel module is to get the device add
notification. However once I get the notification, I can have netlink
socket pass the device data to my user space application.
Here the tricky part is I can get the device info, but not able to
figure out how can I get the mount path from this device. I tried
looking at linux automount feature but its doc is limited and its on
demand feature may not allow me to know for sure if the drive is mounted
properly.
So is there any way I can get the mount path from the USB device
structure in userspace?

for encrypted filesystem there isnt any problem as I would be overlaying
that on the USB device default filesystem.

Regards,
Abhijit Pawar