Recompile the Library of the Linux Kernel

LI LEI leimli.hit at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 02:39:45 EST 2012

Hello, everyone,

I am a beginner to learn about the linux kernel. I met the following
problem today:

I created a C file called "drv_event.c", and put it into the location
"/lib", since I want to link it to the library of the kernel, i.e., *lib.a*.
I also put the header file "drv_event.h" into the directory
"/include/linux". I recompile the directory "/lib", and my own object
"drv_event.o" was successfully linked into the *lib.a*.

However, I called one of the functions defined in the "drv_event.c" in my
driver, and I compiled this driver, at the link time, I got the warning
which shows that the function called is undefined.

It seems although I do recompile the lib.a successfully, but I did not put
the new one into the right place. I tried "make install lib" and also "make
install" in the kernel source. However, I still got the same warning at the
link time.

So does someone can help me to get rid of this problem?

Thanks so much.

Best,

Li