Best way to debug an Intel Core i5 hang - likely graphics (possibly power) related

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 17:11:07 EST 2012

Back again,

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 2:44 AM, Graeme Russ <graeme.russ at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello (again :))
>

> On Feb 2, 2012 2:35 AM, "Mulyadi Santosa" <mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi again :)
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 22:28, Graeme Russ <graeme.russ at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I suspect possibly flakey cap in one of the voltage regulators
>>
>> if that's true, that's really nasty. And I think that also means that
>> motherboard is pretty unusable for long usage period.
>>
>> Is it possible to just trade your motherboard with new one?
>
> Since the shop I bought it from is so difficult to deal with, I ordered a
> new one (different brand, Gigabyte this time) online like I always have
> before.

For anyone still following this thread, I just had another thought as to
what may be the problem (although I have not tried it yet) - SDRAM timing.

I am using Strontium DIMMs (hynix chips) which typically have 'lower'
spec'd timings. Now the BIOS should pick up the correct timings by reading
the DIMM's SPD data so the chance the timings are 'wrong' is probably
pretty low, but I'll check. I may even wind the timing down _lower_ than
the SDRAM is spec'd at (can't hurt)

I'll be a bit peeved if that turns out to be it now that I've forked out
another $100 odd for a new MB :(

Regards,

Graeme