Fedora kernel rpmbuild query

devendra.aaru devendra.aaru at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 04:20:31 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Shraddha Kamat <sh2008ka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I do the following on Fedora kernel src rpm :
> (1) rpm -ivh kernel-xxx.rpm
> (2) Go to ~/rpmbuild/SPECS dir
> (2) rpmbuild -bp kernel.specs --nodeps
>
> then in the ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/ dir I get kernel-xxx dir
> where in there are two source dir -
> (1) linux-xxx           <-------- A
> (2) vanilla-xxx         <-------- B
>
> Why are these two dir created - How do I use the configuration file
> /boot/config-xxx to build vmlinuz and initrd image ?
>
> Which dir A or B sould I use for building ?

i dunno why you are doing these things, all these look hard path.

this is what i do:

take new kernel from ftp.kernel.org or git.kernel.org.
make defconfig
make -j10
make modules_install
make install

there are some gliches to it, say

you have to select the filesystems correctly like if you have ext2, in
.config enable CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y or what ever the filesystem currently
you have.
and your ethernet driver (as of now compile the ethernet drivers as
modules) (make menuconfig  then networking then ethernet )
same with the wireless drivers too, (make menuconfig then networking
then wireless )

the names i mentioned may change but please go through google once
posting here :)

thanks,