Fedora kernel rpmbuild query

Pritam Bankar pritambankar1988 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 03:59:39 EST 2012

Hi Shraddha,

Please find my comments below,

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Shraddha Kamat <sh2008ka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I do the following on Fedora kernel src rpm :
> (1) rpm -ivh kernel-xxx.rpm
> (2) Go to ~/rpmbuild/SPECS dir
> (2) rpmbuild -bp kernel.specs --nodeps
>
> then in the ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/ dir I get kernel-xxx dir
> where in there are two source dir -
> (1) linux-xxx           <-------- A
> (2) vanilla-xxx         <-------- B
>
> Why are these two dir created - How do I use the configuration file
> /boot/config-xxx to build vmlinuz and initrd image ?

Directory B is vanilla kernel source which is standard kernel source.
This is a same source which is available on kernel.org

Directory A is actually for source which has been modified by user. In
this case it will have patches from FEDORA above standard kernel from
kernel.org.

To build vmlinuz and initrd image copy /boot/config-xxx  to Directory
A (linux-xxx) and run "sudo make oldconfig" then follow normal
compilation steps

> Which dir A or B sould I use for building ?

You should be using directory A