sysfs: pass function pointers to kernel (not just a value through attribute)

Terry Hsu terry.shoes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 10:11:46 EST 2012

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some mechanism for userspace tasks to pass certain
functions to kernel and let the kernel execute these functions on behalf of
userspace tasks. I know that sysfs can be used with kobject embedded into
internal kernel structure to access kernel variables. But is there anyway
for userspace tasks to pass a function to kernel to execute through sysfs?

PS: adding syscall in the kernel can certainly satisfy my needs but it is
less favorable because the new kernel service I want to add is not that
general to be added as a new syscall.

Thanks in advance!