Regarding testing of OS Development specific Code

Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar chambilkethakur at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 12:40:02 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM, supratim chakraborty
<sup270792 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I searched on the internet for an apt answer but i couldn't find one so i
> thought this could be a newbie-friendly place to shoot the doubt
>
> I have developed an interest in OS development (kernel) and have
> successfully built/compiled/configured the kernel source but i would like
> to know as to how do OS developers test their code ,as in-  it could be
> really painful to make some changes to the code and then again recompile
> the entire kernel , make a new image and then boot from that
>
> in essence it would require - 1. Making changes 2. Compiling 3. Reflashing
> the kernel 4. Rebooting the machine (physical or virtual as the case may be)
>
> So I am pretty sure that this is not the way the work's done , so can i
> have the needed enlightenment as to how do OS developers go about making
> hacks /changes to the code and then testing the new build
>
> Regards
> Supratim Chakraborty
> about.me/borax12
>

> Linux Test suite is one place to test your Linux:
http://ltp.sourceforge.net/

more from slashdot
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/05/06/05/1426206/linux-kernel-gets-fully-automated-test

kernel autotest
http://autotest.github.com/

besides people make changes in one or two parts of kernel subsystem at a
time and/or parts totally related and test it out in accordance to that
subsystem.

you can also use UML for testing. It is pretty good way to quickly get idea
of basic functionality. For networkign you can use wireshark and all

and what this guy has replied.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3177338/how-is-linux-kernel-tested

Thank you
Warm Regards