Speed Analysis Util.

Tobias Boege tobias at gambas-buch.de
Tue Dec 11 11:27:44 EST 2012

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012, Gustavo da Silva wrote:
> I would like to tell myself: Ok, so, in 1second, my computer can access
> 2.000 memory cells (relatively, because there is the "inc" instruction time
> spent, for counting).
>
> I'm using a AMD Athlon 64 X2 L310 (1.2ghz).
>
> It would not be a easy task (for me) to develop, because I'm not a Assembly
> profissional programmer, and I'm not a young man who have
> much time to develop all utils those I would like to create.
>
> It would not be easy, too, because it will be necessary (I think/believe)
> to set paging (x86) mechanism, enabling long mode, ... ...Well, if not, it
> will be easier.
>
> I'm imaginating a very simple program!! But if someone wants to create
> (doesn't want to wait me), ... my tip is: "So my Friend: Let's go! Do it!"!

In case I didn't understand properly: what do you want to do, now? You said
you wanted to speed-test your machine long and in real mode.

You seem to have done the test under Linux already. You were in long mode
when running Linux. Why do you want to go to long mode manually then?

What's left is real mode and there are quite few things easier than running
some code in real mode.

If there's a specific reason, indeed, to go to long mode by hand, you may
also use Pure64[0] to boot into your long mode and execute code then.

Regards,
Tobi

[0] http://www.returninfinity.com/pure64.html