Issue with ps -l command "Unknown HZ value! (744514) Assume 100."

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 04:49:55 EDT 2012

Hi...

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:28 PM, KARTHIK SEKURU
<karthik.sekuru at gmail.com> wrote:

> After the kernel bootup, in the command prompt when i am using the command
> "ps -l "..i am getting the following
>
> sh-4.2# ps -l
> Unknown HZ value! (744514) Assume 100.

IIRC, if you run this at shell:
getconf -a  | grep TCK

you will get (in x86 32 bit):
CLK_TCK                            100

It means to me that 100 is assumed as "known value in user space".
However, in reality, the real timer precision is based upon real HZ
value in kernel.

Regarding your "broken" HZ, i guess it is more a user space issue
rather than kernel space. I check "man sysconf" and "man getconf", and
I got impression that it is a value either stated in one of glibc
headers or kernel headers.....
--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa