mmap_min_addr info

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 12:56:51 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM, swair shah <swairshah at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't understand the use of the mmap_min_add. What's the point of
> preventing applications from mapping to low memory values.

do you ever cross into NULL pointer problem?

now imagine, if that "NULL" points to something malicious,
say....exploit code..... what would happen?

>Also why would
> applications mentioned here would need to map to low memory addresses? A
> little descriptive explanation would be very helpful!

AFAIK, that's because they need to map something....likely to emulate
real "memory" condition.

In case of qemu, (maybe I am wrong here), I guess low memory is use to
map SeaBIOS or any other software BIOS.

Other people might be more knowledgeable than me on this area....

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant