what's the differences among vairous memory models?

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 14:00:15 EDT 2012

Hi Permenides....

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 9:22 PM, Parmenides <mobile.parmenides at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mulyadi,
>
>     Thanks for your reply. In principle, the physical memory
> management model can be used for both UMA and NUMA, because we can
> view UMA as a special case of NUMA.

agree... :)

>But, in kernel code, there is some
> points like
>
>                                     #ifdef CONFIG_NUMA
>
> So, I wonder there must be some differences between UMA and NUMA.

maybe this page can explain much much better than me:
http://mytechkorner.blogspot.com/2010/12/sparsemem.html

not sure, but it seems that sparsemem indeed targetting to handle
NUMA. And also memory hotplug...maybe that is the "hole" you refer to.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant