Linux Driver Project

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Apr 26 09:16:59 EDT 2012

Rabee Al-Maqabi <rabee.almaqabi at gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you for your reply. Linux Device Drivers is indeed a great book. I
> have read it in addition to Understanding the Linux Kernel and I have
> experimented with my Linux box. At this point, I would like to have a
> real-world experience and write a driver for a piece of hardware not yet
> supported.

How about a fingerprint scanner?  If you've got a modern laptop then
chances are good that you already own such a device.  And it's
most likely unsupported.  Some might say that's because it's useless :-)

Otherwise I'd recommend looking through your box of unused devices.  No
need to go out and buy anything if all you want is to write some
driver.

Or see
http://www.linuxdriverproject.org/foswiki/bin/view/Main/DriversNeeded
if you are open to buying some new device for this project.

You won't find any datasheets or any other documentation, though...
Manufacturers smart enough to provide documentation usually get drivers
written for their devices in no time.  But some still hold it to
themselves.  Go figure.

Bjørn