Linux Driver Project

Javier Martinez Canillas martinez.javier at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 13:26:17 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Rabee Al-Maqabi
<rabee.almaqabi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for not yet supported piece of hardware to write a driver for
> it. anyone can help?
>
> Regards,
> Rabee Al-Maqabi

Hi Rabee,

Linux Device Drivers 3rd edition (LDD3) is a great book to learn how
to write Linux device drivers. The best thing about this book is that
teaches how to write device drivers for memory-based virtual devices,
which mean that you don't need any special hardware to run the example
drivers on your computer.

Fortunately the Linux internal API is not stable and that allows us to
improve the kernel every day. But this has the side effect that any
documentation about the Linux kernel quickly becomes obsolete.

A long time ago I updated the LDD3 examples so they could be compiled
and used on newer kernels, this was for academic purposes so my
students would be able to use that code.

Sadly I haven't had any time to update to more recent kernels so if
you want to work on Linux device drivers you can fork my tree [1] and
make the drivers work on recent kernels, I know that many people would
be happy (specially students).

[1]: https://github.com/martinezjavier/ldd3

Best regards,

--