side effects of calling interruptible_sleep_on_timeout()

devendra rawat devendra.rawat.singh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 05:54:23 EDT 2012

Hi,

A switch driver is causing soft lockup on Montavista Linux Kernel 2.6.10
system.
While browsing through the code of the driver. I came across a snippet
where after disabling the interrupts
a call is made to interruptible_sleep_on_timeout().

The code snippet is like

cli();

init_waitqueue_head(&queue);
        interruptible_sleep_on_timeout(&queue, USEC_TO_JIFFIES(usec));
        thread_check_signals();

sti();

I need to know the side effect of this sort of code, can it be responsible
for the softlockup of the system ? Its a PowerPC based system.

Regards,
Devendra