32 bit kernel on 64 bit machine

er krishna erkrishna at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 00:37:00 EDT 2012

On Apr 20, 2012 12:16 PM, "Graeme Russ" <graeme.russ at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Krishna,
>
> Please keep ML Cc'd
yep

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM, er krishna <erkrishna at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Graeme,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Graeme Russ <graeme.russ at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> Hi Krishna,

> >> Yes
> >

> > How ? What are the exact steps ? I mean how I will compile the kernel
(flags
> > and all) that will boot on 64 bit processor ? My problem is I have 64
bit
> > fc16 and Sandybridge 64 bit machine. I need to compile the kernel for
32 bit
> > with these setup and boot it.
>
> The steps you performed I believe will have built a 32-bit kernel
yes but when booted it panic during initramfs stage.

> >> You cannot use a 32-bit kernel with 64-bit user-space
> >>

> > Sorry, I didn't get you here. Do you mean to say that 64 bit application
> > won't work on 32 bit kernel. if its then its fine.
>
> Yes, that is what I mean't - If all you userspace (libraries,
> applications etc) are 64-bit then a 32-bit kernel cannot run them. You
> should have at least got a kernel panic that init could not be run

application will not run that i m agreed but the booting should be smooth.
Isnt it?

I got panic during early stage of booting before calling of init.

> By 'fine' you mean that your setup is fine and you tried to run the

No it was not intended to say like this.  But first of all booting didnt
happen.
So there is no point of trying any application.

Can you pls tell that booting and 32 bit application should run smoothly?

> 32-bit kernel using 32-bit userspace? If so, there is obviously
> another problem.

Watt problem?