BUILD_BUG_ON & __bad_udelay for linux 3.3.2 kernel compile on ARM

Abhijit Pawar apawar.linux at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 11:23:04 EDT 2012

Hi All,
I have compiled the latest linux kernel (3.3.2) (after hearing the
provided support of this series after the 2.6 series )for ARM platform
on fedora box.

I faced couple of problems:

1. BUILD_BUG_ON : There were errors and make stopped for couple of
files.
The error said , negative type value for array.

 At this moment, I have just commented the calls. However just wondering
what could be potential problem?

2. __bad_udelay
After making the above changes, the compilation finished just fine,
however doing modpost presented new problems as mentioned below:

 OBJCOPY arch/arm/boot/zImage
  Kernel: arch/arm/boot/zImage is ready
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 2136 modules
ERROR: "__bad_udelay" [sound/pci/ali5451/snd-ali5451.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "__bad_udelay" [drivers/scsi/atp870u.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "__bad_udelay" [drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sungem.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "__bad_udelay" [drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "__bad_udelay" [drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "__bad_udelay" [drivers/atm/he.ko] undefined!
make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
make: *** [modules] Error 2

I have to go and replace many of the calls for udelay having value
greater than 2000 with mdelay(2) or more. So is it that these drivers
are not meant for ARM or they are not yet completely supported for ARM?

Regards,
Abhijit Pawar