git pull fails on linux-next (out of memory)

Arvid Brodin Arvid.Brodin at xdin.com
Tue Apr 17 15:54:49 EDT 2012

On 2012-03-31 08:50, Srivatsa Bhat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 3:40 AM, Arvid Brodin <arvid.brodin at enea.com
> <mailto:arvid.brodin at enea.com>> wrote:
>
>     Arvid Brodin wrote:
>     > On 2012-03-06, I cloned linux-next:
>     >
>     > $ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
>     <http://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git> linux-next-20120306
>     >
>     >
>     > I now want to update this repository before posting patches, to make sure
>     > they still apply cleanly. I first tried this on 20120328:
>

> Tracking linux-next is a little bit different from usual trees. In particular, since
> Stephen Rothwell
> rebases it quite frequently, you shouldn't do a git pull on linux-next.
>
> See these articles for details on how to work with linux-next:
> http://linux.f-seidel.de/linux-next/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Linux-next.FAQ
> http://lists.kernelnewbies.org/pipermail/kernelnewbies/2012-February/004498.html

Great links, thanks!

The first time I did 'git remote update' as described in the first link things worked
fine: I could "git merge origin/master" to be up to date with origin/master (or perhaps I
did a 'git rebase origin/master, I can't quite remember).

I tried the same thing ('git remote update; git merge origin/master') today, and got lots
of CONFLICTs. So I tried to get master back and after some time ended up running 'git
reset --hard; git clean -f -d', which I believe succeeded.

At this time 'git status' says the same as it did just after the remote update above:

# On branch master
# Your branch and 'origin/master' have diverged,
# and have 569 and 3251 different commit(s) each, respectively.

Ok, so let's try a 'git rebase origin/master' instead:

$ git rebase origin/master
First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
Applying: fsnotify: inline mark refcnt functions
Using index info to reconstruct a base tree...
Falling back to patching base and 3-way merge...
Auto-merging fs/notify/mark.c
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in fs/notify/mark.c
Auto-merging include/linux/fsnotify_backend.h
Failed to merge in the changes.
Patch failed at 0001 fsnotify: inline mark refcnt functions

When you have resolved this problem run "git rebase --continue".
If you would prefer to skip this patch, instead run "git rebase --skip".
To restore the original branch and stop rebasing run "git rebase --abort".

Huh?! I haven't touched that file! I just want to keep my linux-next tree up to date! How
hard should this be?!

/calming down/

Any ideas on what I've done wrong and how to solve it?

--
Arvid Brodin
Enea Services Stockholm AB - since February 16 a part of Xdin in the Alten Group. Soon we