Issue in uncompressing zImage

KARTHIK SEKURU karthik.sekuru at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 06:07:37 EDT 2012

Hi,
I'm doing kernel porting to arm926 based FPGA board,very minimal setup
(uart + timer only)
I'm getting kernel panic after cramfs root file system is mounted,I am
expecting to enter login prompt after root file system is mounted.

Below are the details

#define PLAT_PHYS_OFFSET       0x80000000 (with 128 MB SDRAM)
#define CONFIG_PAGE_OFFSET  0xc0000000

Physical memory : 128MB (0x80000000 to 88000000)

ZRELADDR = 0x80008000
PARAMS_PHYS = 0x80000100
INITRD_PHYS = 0x80800000

Kernel cmd line : mem=32M console=ttySAC0,115200 root=/dev/ram0
rootfstype=cramfs init=/linuxrc initrd=0x80800000,8M user_debug=31

I am not using u-boot and doing all the required initializations through
trace32 cmm script.

After compiling the kernel, when I load vmlinux(through trace32) at
0x80008000, the kernel runs upto mounting the filesystem(though there is
some issue in mounting the filesystem).

But when I load zImage at the same address i.e 0x80008000, I am getting

*Uncompressing Linux...*

* *

*uncompression error*

* *

* -- System halted*

in the console.

I made sure that I am enabling the config options CONFIG_XZ_DEC (xz
decompression support) through menuconfig.

I suspected on the cramfs memory location and then tried loading only
zImage at 0x80008000.,even after this the result is same.

Please let me know where could be the issue.