Why do processes with higher priority to be allocated more timeslice?

Parmenides mobile.parmenides at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 09:06:41 EDT 2011

Hi, Mulyadi

2011/9/27 Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com>:
> simply to say that, the more important a job is, it should be given
> longer time to run... but, the process has privilege to yield before
> time slice is up...and when it comes back,it will use the remaining
> time slice.....and its dynamic priority will stay the same (that's the
> property that I recall....)
>
> well, you can think, what happen if you take the other direction for
> the policy? higher priority, but less time slice? that, IMHO, is less
> intuitive.

Initially, I think that the scheduler should enlarge the timeslices of
CPU-bound processes to improve throughput. But, now I have realized
that the two goals of schedulers, namely shorter latency and higher
throughput, can not be achieved at the same time. Linux scheduler may
prefer to the former. Thanks! :-)