Doubt regarding asmlinkage

Pei Lin telent997 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 07:58:53 EDT 2011

2011/9/8 rohan puri <rohan.puri15 at gmail.com>:

> [...]
>> see what happens later...
>>

>> 1) user space programs do something like this:
>>

>> mov $SYSCALLNUMER, %eax
>> mov $ARG1, %ebx
>> mov $ARG2, %ecx
>> int $0x80 ------ go to kernel syscall handler --->
>>

>> ---> arch(i386/kernel/entry.S:

>>        # system call handler stub
>> ENTRY(system_call)
>>        pushl %eax # save orig_eax
>>        SAVE_ALL
>>        GET_THREAD_INFO(%ebp)
>>                                        # system call tracing in operation
>>        /* Note, _TIF_SECCOMP is bit number 8, and so it needs testw
>> and not testb
>>  */ testw
>> $(_TIF_SYSCALL_TRACE|_TIF_SYSCALL_AUDIT|_TIF_SECCOMP),TI_flags(%ebp) jnz
>> syscall_trace_entry cmpl $(nr_syscalls), %eax
>>        jae syscall_badsys
>> syscall_call:
>>        call *sys_call_table(,%eax,4)
>>        movl %eax,EAX(%esp) # store the return value
>>

>> notice just these 2 things:
>>

>> 1) SAVE_ALL ---> it's a MACRO that do this:
>>

>> #define SAVE_ALL \
>>        cld; \
>>        pushl %es; \
>>        pushl %ds; \
>>        pushl %eax; \
>>        pushl %ebp; \
>>        pushl %edi; \
>>        pushl %esi; \ ....
>>        pushl %edx; \ > ARG3 <
>>        pushl %ecx; \ > ARG2 <
>>        pushl %ebx; \ > ARG1 <
>>        movl $(__USER_DS), %edx; \
>>        movl %edx, %ds; \
>>        movl %edx, %es;
>>

>> 2) call *sys_call_table(,%eax,4)
>>

>> this calls the "C" system call function
>>

>> So, since the arguments are passed on the stack (see SAVE_ALL) the "C"
>> function MUST take them from the stack.
>>

>> --
>> Best Regards
>> Lin
>
> Hi Lin,
>
> Thanks for the information. :)
>
> One thing regarding that asmlinkage FAQ, does the author means process
> kernel stack when he indicates the usage of CPU stack?
>
> Also in file,
> arch/x86/include/asm/linkage.h : -
>
> /*
>  * Make sure the compiler doesn't do anything stupid with the
>  * arguments on the stack - they are owned by the *caller*, not
>  * the callee. This just fools gcc into not spilling into them,
>  * and keeps it from doing tailcall recursion and/or using the
>  * stack slots for temporaries, since they are live and "used"
>  * all the way to the end of the function.
>  *
>  * NOTE! On x86-64, all the arguments are in registers, so this
>  * only matters on a 32-bit kernel.
>  */
>
> This comment states that it only happens for 32-bit arch and for 64 - bit
> arch parameters are kept in registers itself.
>
> Thats why for system_call assembly function, for 32-bit this SAVE_ALL method
> is used and for 64-bit this SAVE_ALL method is not used.
Yes, x86-64 expand the general-purpose registers from 8 to 16
The main features include:
 Pointers and long integers are 64 bits long. Integer arithmetic
operations support 8, 16, 32, and 64-bit
data types.
 The set of general-purpose registers is expanded from 8 to 16.
 Much of the program state is held in registers rather than on the
stack. Integer and pointer procedure
arguments (up to 6) are passed via registers. Some procedures do not
need to access the stack at all.
 Conditional operations are implemented using conditional move
instructions when possible, yielding
better performance than traditional branching code.
 Floating-point operations are implemented using a register-oriented
instruction set, rather than the
stack-based approach supported by IA32.

more information as below link:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~fp/courses/15213-s07/misc/asm64-handout.pdf