generic I/O

Kai Meyer kai at gnukai.com
Mon Oct 31 12:24:17 EDT 2011

Are there existing generic block device I/O operations available
already? I am familiar with constructing and submitting 'struct bio's,
but what I'd like to do would be greatly simplified if there was an
existing I/O interface similar to the posix 'read' and 'write'
functions. If they don't exist, I would probably end up writing
functions like:
int blk_read(struct block_device *bdev, void *buffer, off_t length);
int blk_write(struct block_device *bdev, void *buffer, off_t length);

Pros and cons to this sort of approach?

-Kai Meyer