How to interpret cat /proc/meminfo

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 22:23:29 EDT 2011

Hi...

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 14:29, sandeep kumar <coolsandyforyou at gmail.com> wrote:
> My question is,
> While in the kernel memory layout, lowmem is shown as 496MB,
> in /proc/meminfo LowMEMtotal is only 231MB.
> Why is the difference between the two?

Maybe there's a device memory mapped in the lowmem region. Check using
tools like "lspci" or such. I can't think of another possibility right
now, so others might add...

BTW, it's a bit surprised me. Looking at the amount of your total RAM,
it should be all mapped in low mem. I wonder, why some of them are
shifted into high mem...

ANd the amount of committed_AS...that is really big compared to your
actual RAM, don't you agree?

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa