Customized kernel and nVidia binary drivers

Cihangir Aktürk cakturk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 09:26:57 EDT 2011

Hi everybody,

I am building custom kernels using "make-kpkg" command - the debian way,
everything works great even my nVidia propriatery driver. And this nvidia
module confuses me so much.

When I build my kernel with standard "make", and install it as it is expected
there is no nvidia module in my /usr/lib/kernel-ver directory and not
surprisingly
simply copying this driver from older kernel to a new one doesn't work as well.

I wonder how can this nVidia binary driver still work if I compile my kernel
with "make-kpkg"?
What this utility does to make it happen?