Questions about User Mode Linux

michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com
Wed Oct 12 11:25:01 EDT 2011

Hi!

On 19:15 Wed 12 Oct     , jiangtao.jit wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Need help with UML issue
>
> 1.is User Mode Linux still supported?

I think so

> 2.where can I find the latest Docs and guidelines?

I usually refer to http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/old/index.html . It
probably is not really the latest version, but it has been good enough for me
so far.

> 3.compile error?
> 	on kernel version 2.6.39
> 	gcc 4.1.2
> 	I compile with: make ARCH=um linux
>     errors ocurred
> 		/usr/bin/ld:arch/um/kernel/vmlinux.lds:237: syntax error
> 		collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>   		KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms1.S
> 		nm: '.tmp_vmlinux1': No such file
> 		No valid symbol.
> 		make: *** [.tmp_kallsyms1.S] Error 1

1) gcc 4.1.2 looks very old. Even my debian stable here already has 4.4.5.
2) I use the command "ARCH=um make linux". It will probably not make any
   difference, but ...
3) Sometimes UML is a real pain. When I upgrade my testing kernel, I usually
   have to spend some time searching the internet for fixes. I do not remember
   this error, tough. You can find my current (3.0) kernel at
   http://repo.or.cz/w/cor.git , if you are interested.

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com