Writing a USB driver for a non working device

madav maddy maddy.mdv007 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 11:42:24 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am newbie. For the better understanding of the USB, i have decided write a
USB driver for the device for which it works in windows but not in linux. So
i have picked the Logitech USB headset.

The background i have is ,i have studied the ldd usb drivers and written few
dummy USB driver.

Before i start implementing, i made some basic study
- on connecting the device to my Ubuntu desktop, lsusb shows
*     Bus 002 Device 065: ID 046d:0a01 Logitech, Inc. USB Headset*

on issuing dmesg.
   [550289.589037] usb 2-1.6: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
address 66

- so i believe there should be some driver already existing, is my
understanding right?
- if not, where can i start for implementing a new driver of my own?
      I think i need  start doing some reverse engineering on windows using
some usb logging tool, for the understanding of working of the device

Thanks,
Madav Raman