x86 kernel build chain - how bzImage gets created

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 16:41:15 EST 2011

Hi Mulyadi Santosa

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 4:54 AM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 17:46, Graeme Russ <graeme.russ at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Hopefully this will help demystify the build process
>

> Hi!
>
> Wow great man! I deeply suggest to write that into kernelnewbies wiki too....

I've had another followup suggestion to add this to the wiki. I don't
have permissions to add or edit wiki pages, so if someone feels like
adding me as a wiki editor then I can do it soon enough, otherwise,
I'm happy for any existing editor to create a new page.
/Documents/bzImageBuildProcess is where I would think to put it.

Also, I'm in the process of disecting the x86 boot_params and
associated structures, what members are used where etc including the
'header.bin' 16-bit real-mode initialisation code and the kernel
decompression and start of execution which, I think, would be worth
adding to the wiki when done

I've created a wiki account (GraemeRuss) so if anyone wants me to add
a new page, add me to the editors list, send me and email, and I will
get to it

> Once again, great job!

Thanks,

Graeme