Spinlocks and interrupts

Jeff Haran jharan at bytemobile.com
Thu Nov 10 18:00:51 EST 2011

Can
> I test for atomic context? For instance, I know that you can call
> irqs_disabled(), is there a similar is_atomic() function I can call? I
> would like to put a few calls in different places to learn what sort
of
> context I'm.
>
> -Kai Meyer
>
> On 11/10/2011 12:19 PM, Jeff Haran wrote:

Kai, you might want to try bottom posting. It is the standard on these
lists. It makes it easier for others to follow the thread.

I know of no kernel call that you can make to test for current execution
context. There are the in_irq(), in_interrupt() and in_softirq() macros
in hardirq.h, but when I've looked at the code that implements them I've
come to the conclusion that they sometimes will lie. in_softirq()
returns non-zero if you are in a software IRQ. Fair enough. But based on
my reading in the past it's looked to me like it will also return
non-zero if you've disabled bottom halves from process context with say
a call to spin_lock_bh().

It would be nice if there were some way of asking the kernel what
context you are in, for debugging if for no other reason, but if it's
there I haven't found it.

I'd love to be proven wrong here, BTW. If others know better, please
enlighten me.

Jeff Haran