academia contribution to the kernel

Pierre Vorhagen pvr at kthx.be
Tue May 31 05:45:45 EDT 2011

Hello,

in the light of this discussion, there is a question which has been
bugging me for quite a while about higher academia and Linux.

I'm currently completing a Bachelor in "Computing and Systems"[1] in
Belgium, which is very focused on programming. (Mainly C, but also C++,
C#, Java...) It is a curriculum that will qualify me as an
Analyst-Programmer (not sure if that's the correct term in English), in
a relatively practical sense.

But I really wonder which type of Master (if any?) would maximize my
chances of being hired by a company working on kernel development and
related matters. Surely, a MSc in Computer Engineering would be more
on-topic than a "traditional" MSc in Computer Science for instance, no?
What *is* the best way to go about a Master that would be related to
Linux development as much as possible? (thinking about a future career
in the field)

Greetings,
Pierre

[1] http://www.provincedeliege.be/ects/2010/index_TECH-INDU_EN.html