executable ELF is rm-ed from disk, but still running RAM..

Vikash Kumar vikashskumar at gmail.com
Tue May 31 00:56:25 EDT 2011

AFAIK Linux removes the directory entry and reduces the reference count of
Inode of a running process and rm is successful. So, you can't see it in the
file system anymore. However as the program is still running the inode
reference count is still not zero and so the Inode and hence file is
actually not deleted yet. When the program will terminate, Inode ref count
will drop to zero and in that case the Inode and file will be freed.

"The design of Unix Operating System" by Maurice J. Bach It covers these
basic design principles in good detail.