executable ELF is rm-ed from disk, but still running RAM..

Pei Lin telent997 at gmail.com
Mon May 30 21:25:34 EDT 2011

2011/5/30 Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com>:
> Hi all..
>
> As the subject says, I was thinking about that issue.
>
> I know that rm-ing a file doesn't delete the data block from the
> backing device, thus the executable could still survive and running.
>
> But logically, we usually expect that once a file is rm-ed, it should
> also "stop", right? What does POSIX say about this case anyway? Anyone
> could kindly give his/her opinion?
In my view, i don't expect that rm one file should also stop the
related process. If that, in one system, do the thing "rm sysfile"
will stop OS running? In my logic, i just think run the executable is
the user's choice before "rm it", if the user want to delete file,
also who want to stop the process related this file should kill the
process themselves. I consider that if the users delete one file
uncarefully, should give the chance to recover it and not block
current running task.

> --
> regards,
>
> Mulyadi Santosa