Compiling linux kernel for beagle board

Abbas Raza abbas.raza.1707 at gmail.com
Mon May 30 07:01:31 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am new to kernel and want to learn it alot :)

I just got my beagle board and want to compile linux kernel for it. I
downloaded the latest kernel source from kernel.org. Cross compiled it for
ARM beagle board and it got working on my board.
During investigation on kernel sources i found that git repo at "git://
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git" contains
support for beagle board too. I am confused that
what is the difference between both the kernels i.e latest base kernel and
OMAP3 linux kernel? why all the documents on internet ask to get kernel from
above link (linux kernel for OMAP3 family of processors) for beagle board
and not the base kernel simply from kernel.org? Also i have seen a linux
recipe for beagle board in openembedded . It fetches OMAP3 kernel and
applies lots of patches on it as give below

SRC_URI = "git://
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git;protocol=git\
       file://defconfig"

SRC_URI_append = " \
           file://no-empty-flash-warnings.patch \
           file://no-cortex-deadlock.patch \
           file://read_die_ids.patch \
           file://fix-install.patch \

file://dss2/0001-Revert-gro-Fix-legacy-path-napi_complete-crash.patch \
           file://dss2/0002-OMAPFB-move-omapfb.h-to-include-linux.patch \
           -----
          -------

So now i see 3 different linux kernel sources... base kernel, OMAP3 kernel,
OMAP3 patched kernel made by openembedded. Which one should be used? Is not
base kernel enough for beagle board?

Please help and guide i am very much confused .. thanks

--
Abbas Raza