getting access to vlan tag on a non vlan interface

Mihir Lala lalamihir at yahoo.com
Sat May 21 01:25:50 EDT 2011

I'm receiving vlan tagged packets on a non-vlan interface and I want to be able
to strip off the tag on the way in and later insert the tag back in on the way
out.

I've looked at two options but none of them work for me:

- Hooking into netfilter's iptables hooks -- since I do not have a vlan
interface, the packets do not even reach L3 and so my hooks won't even get
invoked.

- Hooking into netfilter's ebtables hooks, will give me access to the vlan tag,
but then I am forced to create a bridge. I don't want to do that.

Can anyone provide some insight as to how  I can achieve this?

thanks,
nova