KGDB Setup problem

Prabhu nath gprabhunath at gmail.com
Thu May 12 07:54:26 EDT 2011

Dear All,
         With another day of effort I am was able to set up the KGDB with
target C1 to host C2. The only change I did was changed my host from FC6 to
FC12. Now both my target and host are FC12.

C1(target) <---------------------------------------->C2 (host)

Grub setting on the target is
title Fedora (2.6.34)
    root (hd0,0)

    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34 ro
root=UUID=fb7800fb-cfe7-438d-bc7f-c153ba4353d1  LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us console=ttyS0,115200n8
kgdboc=ttyS0,115200 kgdbwait kgdbcon

    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.34.img

On booting the target the kernel is waiting for connection from remote gdb

# On the host following is the scene. I am not able to single step.
[root at localhost kgdb]# gdb vmlinux
GNU gdb (GDB) Fedora (7.0-3.fc12)
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-redhat-linux-gnu".
Reading symbols from /root/kgdb/vmlinux...done.

(gdb) set remotebaud 115200

(gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0

Remote debugging using /dev/ttyS0
0xc044d8a9 in ?? ()

(gdb) s
Cannot find bounds of current function
(gdb)
(gdb) add-symbol-file ./vmlinux 0xC1000000 -s .data 0xC12d6000 -s .bss
0xc135d000 -s .rodata 0xc1217000
add symbol table from file "./vmlinux" at
        .text_addr = 0xc1000000
        .data_addr = 0xc12d6000
        .bss_addr = 0xc135d000
        .rodata_addr = 0xc1217000
(y or n) y
Reading symbols from /root/kgdb/vmlinux...done.
(gdb) s
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Reply contains invalid hex digit 116
(gdb) s
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Reply contains invalid hex digit 116
(gdb) n
Cannot find bounds of current function
(gdb) N
Cannot find bounds of current function
(gdb) s
Cannot find bounds of current function
(gdb) c

Can you please help me in doing single stepping, from here.

Thanks,
Prabhu