How does the kernel chooses the 'vfat' module for fat32 partitions?

Sudheer Divakaran inbox1.sudheer at gmail.com
Tue May 10 03:08:49 EDT 2011

Hi Mulyadi,

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi Sudheer...
>
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:48, Sudheer Divakaran
> <inbox1.sudheer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> I have one doubt regarding the component which determines that 'vfat'
>> module is the correct module to be used for accessing fat32 file
>> systems and how does vfat.ko  became the ideal candidate for accessing
>> fat32 partition?
>
> AFAIK, kernel simply iterates the filesystem module so far loaded (the
> ones you see in /proc/filesystems). Whichever match the superblock or
> main metadata of the target partition, that is the one which is gonna
> used...

vfat module was not loaded before, it got loaded only after I issued
the mount command. We can see this info in the udev log. Moreover
there was no entry for the usbstick partition in /etc/fstab. So
someone kernel/userspace takes the decision that vfat.ko should be
used for managing fat32 partitions. I was trying to identify this
component.

--
Thanks
Sudheer