Serial Port Monitoring Tool

Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Thu May 5 12:55:07 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Madhavi Manchala
<madhavi.linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We have gone through following link about the serial monitoring tool.
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO-11.html#serial_mon
>
> However, we know about the USBMON which is used to monitor the USB
> traffic on the USB bus. Like USBMON, which is the best one? Is there
> any other tool, apart from the above link, for monitoring the serial
> data?\

I have a nifty little hardware gadget called Logic. It's an 8 channel
logic analyzer by a company called Saleae, and it has
Linux/Windows/Mac GUI clients available for it.
http://www.saleae.com/logic/features/

It has decoders that can decode async serial. You may need voltage
converters in order to make it work (depends on your HW). It also
works with i2c and spi.

I also have an even cheaper device called a Bus Pirate. It doesn't
need a GUI, you talk to it using a terminal emulator.
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9544
It can deal with serial, i2c, spi.
It can deal with wider input voltages without requiring external
voltage converters.

For the more adventurous, there is a 32-channel device called
"OpenBench Logic Sniffer"
http://gadgetforge.gadgetfactory.net/gf/project/butterflylogic/
I've heard that there are issues getting the UI running under linux.
I have one, but haven't gotten around to using it yet.

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada