Problem compiling BCM Wireless driver on 2.6.37 (lib80211 symbol issue)

Shreyansh Jain shrey.linux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 04:04:07 EDT 2011

Hi Greg,

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:20 AM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 11:42:36PM +0530, Shreyansh Jain wrote:
>> Hi Greg

<snip>

>> > Why not ask the authors of that code?  As it is closed source, they are
>> > the only ones that can legally help you out.
>>
>> Well, I have not considered asking the authors because I have the
>> code, I can successfully compile it and then, unable to link to the
>> kernel because of a missing function which is present in another
>> module and exported in the kernel.
>
> Wait, why ask some random people instead of the people who can actually
> fix the problem for you (i.e. the authors of the code?)
>
>> Yes, this driver might not be GPL'd, but I certainly have its code.
>
> Yes, but note that just because you have the code, that doesn't mean
> that anyone else has the rights to change it (including you), or help
> you out.  Please read the license for what you have before making
> assumptions.

Right, I understand your point and apologize for being callous enough
pertaining to the licensing issues.

Actually, I just went ahead and read the license terms and (as far as
what I can make sense of the legal language) it doesn't restrict
changes in the code until and unless I am not distributing it and not
breaking any IEEE standard compatibility (once again, in case
distributing it with a broadcom device).

Nevertheless, I will try and search for correct people to answer this
or reframe the question in more generic terms if problem still
persists. Thanks for correcting me!

> best of luck,
>
> greg k-h

-