Limiting the Input Ethernet Throughput

Adrian Cornish adrianc at cqg.com
Wed Mar 16 14:55:31 EDT 2011

> On Behalf Of Praveen kumar
> Hi All,
> I want to limit my system input Ethernet through put to < 10MBps ,i e
if i get the through put
> 10mbps my system should not
> process it.I there any way to do it in the user space .
> I hope that we can achieve this by dig in in to driver .Is there any
simpler way to do it??

Check out tc (traffic control) and iproute2

TC(8)                                                       Linux
TC(8)

NAME
       tc - show / manipulate traffic control settings

SYNOPSIS
       tc  qdisc  [ add | change | replace | link ] dev DEV [ parent
qdisc-id | root ] [ handle qdisc-id ] qdisc [ qdisc spe-
       cific parameters ]

       tc class [ add | change | replace ] dev DEV parent qdisc-id [
classid class-id ] qdisc [ qdisc specific parameters ]

       tc filter [ add | change | replace ] dev DEV [ parent qdisc-id |
root ] protocol protocol prio priority  filtertype  [
       filtertype specific parameters ] flowid flow-id

       tc [ FORMAT ] qdisc show [ dev DEV ]

       tc [ FORMAT ] class show dev DEV

       tc filter show dev DEV

FORMAT := { -s[tatistics] | -d[etails] | -r[aw] | -p[retty] | i[ec] }