From which point onwards the kernel execution starts

Andrzej Kardas andrzej-kardas at o2.pl
Sun Mar 6 05:26:07 EST 2011

On 06.03.2011 09:01, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:

> Oh and I forgot my usual tips in such case: use qemu...attach gdb to
> qemu's gdb stub.... use -s and -S options...it will stop the guest
> invocation right from the initial startup. Assuming you compile guest
> kernel with frame pointer and sufficient debug symbols, it would be
> easy for you to explore the kernel code :)

Let me add some stuff to Your tips :). If we talking about qemu and gdb,
if somebody doesn't like console-oriented tools (who doesn't ?? :) ),
anyway  there is possibility to use qemu and gdb with very popular IDE -
Eclipse and trace execution of kernel code with "magnificent graphical
interface".

The recipe how configure Eclipse + qemu + gdb :

http://issaris.blogspot.com/2007/12/download-linux-kernel-sourcecode-from.html

--
regards
Andrzej Kardas