kprobes for fun and profit :)

amit mehta gmate.amit at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 14:15:24 EST 2011

Hi,

I recently got to know about kprobes for dynamically putting probes inside
Linux kernel. I tried some simple probes and it worked well. Now to extend
the understanding on kprobes and using it for some useful work, I'm planning
to gather some data on a particular driver(say network driver) by
injecting the probes.
It would be of great help if someone here can explain me the network
drivers workflow
and the related entry points. For example, I'm referring to the server engine's
benet driver's code
base(http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.37.2/drivers/net/benet/).
Any other pointers would be equally helpful.

Thanks,
Amit