Problem in compiling kernel

Daniel Baluta daniel.baluta at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 07:29:23 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Ponkumaran Annadurai
<aspkumaran at gmail.com> wrote:

>> >  Yes, I have given yes for that option during configuration
>>
>> OK, then that's your problem. CROSS_COMPILE is a string
>> pointing to your cross compiler prefix.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Daniel.
>

> Yes, It worked. Thank you sir. But I couldn't understand the reason. Can you
> explain this to me?

Please keep kernelnewbies to CC:, so that other can read about this problem
if they hit it.

The reason for which it didn't work is that you haven't set a valid
cross-compiler
prefix in CROSS_COMPILE

When you set a cross-compiler prefix, the value stored in CROSS_COMPILE is
concatenated with the name of each tool used to compile your kernel.

For example, objdump will be used as ${CROSS_COMPILE}objdump. You set
CROSS_COMPILE=Y, and the tool to be used is now named Yobjdump, which
obviously doesn't exist.

Valid values for CROSS_COMPILE look like this: CROSS_COMPILE=
mips64-octeon-linux-gnu-.

Hope that things are now more clear.

thanks,
Daniel