power on self test (POST) config option in kernel config

Vladimir Murzin murzin.v at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 05:13:10 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 9:57 AM, sri <bskmohan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of my devices runs with Centos 5.3 kernel (kernel-2.6.18-128.el5) and
> that box stops responding occasionally.
> When did hard reboot, it comes to normal execution. I would like to see
> which device failure caused the box to stop rebooting.
> I would like to see the POST process execution (if enabled) during the
> centos kernel boot time.
> Is there any kernel config for POST?
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> --
>  Krishna Mohan B

I am afraid POST is kernel independent feature. Power-On-Self-Test
runs immediately after power applied and, if all went well, invokes
bootstrapping code.
Verbosity of POST is mainly configured into BIOS. Make sure you set up
maximum verbosity level.

To get information about what cause your system not responding it is
better to look up kernel messages. You provide poor information to
make any conclusion or even guessing. Sorry.

When you box is friezed try to invoke "magic keys"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key) to collect some
information.

P.S.
Sorry for my English