Kernel log mechanism: How to log messages in a different file

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 16:05:35 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 20:40, amit mehta <gmate.amit at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've written some kernel modules using kprobes infrastructure
> to grab some more information on network packets. I've lots of
> printk which by default show up in syslog file(/var/log/messages),
> I was wondering if there are some method to redirect my printkS
> to appear in somewhere else(say /var/log/netlog).
> On a busy system, it gets little cluttered with other logs. Of-course
> i can grep for my own custom messages but it would be lot more
> convenient if i can redirect my messages in  a separate log file.

side speaking, consider using netlink and create a user space netlink
grabber specificly to read the messages that thrown in your netlink
channel. IMO that would be faster and not cluttering the syslog
buffer...especially if you need to save tons of messages.....just my $
0.002 tips :D

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa