Is this a Bug?

Christian Deussen chrisudeussen at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 21 17:57:02 EDT 2011

Hi,
I just compiled my first Kernel from linus' tree and saw a warning in "sound/soc/codecs/wm8958-dsp2.c".
I think a found a bug, but I am not sure. And I don`t want to waste the Kernel-dev's time on the lkml.
In function wm8958_dsp2_fw(), at line 64, there is an uninitialized variable used.

u32 data 32;
 /*not related code*/

	if (memcmp(fw->data, "WMFW", 4) != 0) {
		dev_err(codec->dev, "%s: firmware has bad file magic %08x\n",
			name, data32); //shouldn't fw->data be used?
		goto err;
	}

Am I right? And does this detail matter anyway?
I made several small fixes for warnings and added some #ifdef CONFIG_BLA when code wasnt used. Are those changes welcome on the LKML?

Thanks for your time.